How to Host a 2024 Local Forma Conference Gathering
2024 Local Forma Conference Gatherings
A Conference Gathering is any group of 2+ people participating together in the 2024 Forma Conference live through Zoom other than the two sponsored Conference Center Retreat gatherings at Camp Allen and Kanuga.
How will Conference Gatherings work?
Anyone can host a 2024 Forma Conference Gathering!
Gatherings can be as small as three folks or much larger. Participants will purchase an Early Bird or General Registration ticket through the Forma Conference Eventbrite and RSVP to their local gathering. Gathering hosts can offer as much or as little additional programming and hospitality as they desire. Forma will provide graphics for advertising, a step by step "how to" guide, and supplemental programming materials for hosts. In addition, we will advertise your gathering on the Forma website.
What do you need in order to host a Conference Gathering?
- The Host: Someone to coordinate publicity, communication before the conference, room setup, technology, any food that will be offered, and check tickets at the door.
- Workshop Hosts: Five workshops will run concurrently per workshop time slot, so you will need at least five workshop hosts. These hosts will ensure the workshop is streaming correctly and add questions from your participants to the chat in Zoom. You might choose to utilize workshop hosts to help with set up and checking tickets.
- Main Gathering Space: One large space for the whole group to participate in worship and plenaries together. This space could include tables and chairs or just seating.
- Workshop Spaces: Five total spaces for smaller groups to participate in workshops (if you use the main gathering space as a workshop space, you’ll only need four additional spaces). These spaces could include tables and chairs or just seating.
- Internet Speed: The conference content will take place live on Zoom. While Zoom only requires an internet upload speed of 1.5 Mbps, we recommend a speed of at least 20 Mbps/5 Mbps (upload/download). Pre-recordings of all presentations will be provided to hosts in case of internet outages.
- Laptops: Five workshops will run concurrently per workshop time slot, so you’ll need five separate laptops.
- TV or Projector and Screen (optional): If you are hosting more than about six people, we recommend using a large TV or a projector and screen for the whole group to participate in worship and plenaries together. For workshops, you may want to have a TV or a projector and screen in each of the five workshop spaces. If your group is small, a laptop per workshop space might suffice.
- Hospitality: Hospitality will look different at each gathering. At minimum, sites should provide bathrooms and water. Additional things you might want to consider: nametags, coffee/tea, snacks, and a map of the facility.
Covering Costs - Forma would prefer that you do not charge a registration fee for your gathering since participants are already paying for Early Bird or General Registration on Eventbrite. This also keeps the cost low for participants while offering as many people as possible the opportunity to gather. We recommend asking your diocese to support your gathering financially or asking for optional donations to cover costs.
Getting a Headcount - You will want to have a way for people to RSVP to your gathering for planning purposes. This can be as simple as emailing a specific person or a Google Form.
Supplemental Programming - You may want to gather before the conference content begins or conclude after the conference content ends. The Forma Conference Planning Team will be creating a packet of supplemental materials on our theme, “A Way in the Wilderness” to help you offer additional programming if desired.
Meal(s) - Hospitality will look different at each gathering. Based on your time zone (see time zone schedule) you may want to consider offering lunch or dinner. Alternatively, you could invite people to bring a brown bag meal.
Ready to host? Register your gathering!
2024 Local Forma Conference Gathering
Thank you for registering your 2024 Local Forma Conference Gathering! We will send appropriate materials to the email address listed within 5 business days.