Certificate Program for Youth and Family Ministry and the Children's Ministry Certificate
These programs are designed for those who are actively engaged in the practice of youth ministry or children’s ministry and feel called to deepen their own understanding of the practice of that ministry. The program will equip participants with a foundational learning, rooted in the practical application to their specific ministry context. This program is designed to provide an overview of core biblical, theological, Episcopal, and practical knowledge that will be applied directly to the practice of ministry in the students context.
The two programs will run concurrently sharing some online classes and discussion sessions while also splitting up for classes and readings that are specific to Youth Ministry or Children’s Ministry.
Each participant will complete a Ministry Statement and a Ministry Plan for their specific setting, as a way of integrating their learning and the practice of ministry. The formation of a community of learners, who will practice and model Formation ministry not just for the duration of the program, but beyond it into and throughout their professional lives, is central to the program.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION TO EITHER PROGRAM:
- The completed online application with your $50 application fee. (Once accepted the $50 fee will be applied to your total cost of $1750)
- Two letters of reference from a Christian Formation colleague, supervisor in ministry setting, teacher or mentor email to [email protected]
- Personal statement describing learning goals as well as the reasons such a program would benefit you and the church emailed to Randall Curtis at [email protected]
- Final Deadline is August 1st for applications or when space is full. (space is limited to 30 students).
- Practicing in a parish or youth program or children’s ministry in a paid or volunteer capacity
- Commitment to attend the week long intensive as well as significant online work before and after the week long intensive
75% of the full payment must be received before attending the in-person event in October. The full amount is due by Dec. 31, 2017.
REQUIREMENTS FOR COMPLETION OF THE PROGRAM:
- Program runs August 1st, 2017 through Dec. 31st 2017
- Attend the residential Program: Oct. 1st-Oct. 6th. at the Claggett Center in Adamstown, MD
- Complete online courses before the residential program (2-4 hours/week)
- Completion of Ministry Statement and Ministry Plan for their primary ministry context after the residential program
COST: THE TOTAL COST OF $1750 INCLUDES
- Full lodging and food at the residential program: Oct. 1st-Oct. 6th. at the Claggett Center in Adamstown, MD. (student pays travel to and from the center)
- $100 discount to the 2018 Forma Conference which will be held in Charleston, SC
- A one year membership to Forma
The formation of a community of learners, who will practice and model Youth and Family Ministry not just for the duration of the program, but beyond it into and throughout their professional lives, is central to the program.
SCHEDULE AND MATERIALS
Forma is excited to announce that we are adding a certificate for Children’s Ministry in 2017. This program will meet with the cohort from the Youth and Family Certificate, take many of the same courses, have access to the same faculty, but there are elements designed purely for formation practitioners who work with children and their families. We are thrilled that Jamie Martin-Currie, Forma Board President and Missioner for Christian Formation in the Diocese of Texas, has agreed to serve as the lead faculty for this new offering.